Small town festivals aren’t about the vendors, the funnel cakes or the music – they’re about the people who call that tiny town home, and the celebration of all of the things that make it deserving of the name.
This coming Saturday we will celebrate our beautiful home town during the 2015 Loblolly Festival sponsored by Southern Beverage Co., Sanderson Farms and Trustmark National Bank. Will you join us?
The Loblolly Experience
Celebrating Laurel, Mississippi
Every year the Loblolly Festival draws craftsmen, cooks, artists and musicians together atop the historic, brick streets of Downtown Laurel, MS.
A swarm of locals and travelers alike come to view their creations, taste their wares and ride bumping along between the buildings in the tractor-pulled train.
Mothers and fathers hold tiny kids by the hand who watch wide-eyed as the chainsaw and tintype artists create beautiful works of art. The children imagine their own hands creating and building as they watch a familiar shape emerge from the raw wooden materials, an image where previously there was only a thin sheet of metal.
Their dream is soon realized as they step into the Children’s Arts and Crafts area to build a creation of their own from the very same materials that made their city great – raw wood and an imagination.
Surrounded by delicious smells and the bustle of the crowd, they taste the first fair-style foods of the season then make their way to the stage to listen to a talented local musician perform a familiar song.
Even then, they’ve only had a taste of what the Loblolly Festival has to offer. This year, there is so much more and so much to be proud of in our little city.
Things to Do and See at the
2015 Loblolly Festival
1. FESTIVAL INFO Stop by the Gazebo at Pinehurst Park for any information you may require during the day’s event. The Laurel Main Street Trailer parked across the street at Bancorp South is the place to purchase your limited-edition 2015 Loblolly Festival, Eastman Gardiner Lumber Company, Lindsey Wagon T-shirts!
2. POOCHES ON PARADE DOG CONTEST Enter your special pup in the Pooches on Parade Dog Contest! Doggies will be scored in several categories by guest judges, including last year’s winner. Gathering of dogs begins at 10:30AM in front of City Hall. A $2 entry fee will help support the Animal Rescue League. For more information, call Debbie Brewer at 601.498.4774. Click to Download Entry Form Click to Download Guidelines
3. LOBLOLLY STAGE Live music performances begin at 11:00AM at the new stage location at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Sawmill Road, near the courthouse. See the music lineup below.
4. CHICK FIL A RUN (NEW!) Beginning at 7:30 AM in the Sawmill Mark Parking Lot, the Chick-fil-A run will feature a 5K, 10K and 1 Mile Fun Run for families. Come out and race for a chance to win FREE Chick-fil-A for a year! Wear your best cow costume for a chance at other great prizes! For more information call 601.319.6064.
5. WOOD CARVING DEMONSTRATIONS BY DAYTON SCOGGINS International World Cup Champion chainsaw artist, Dayton Scoggins, carves all day long just south of the flag pole beside Elegant Evenings. Demonstration sponsored by The Mississippi Arts Commission.
6. BIRDS OF PREY (NEW!) The Birds of Prey exhibit, located in the lot at the corner of Oak & Front Streets, will feature 7 birds of prey including hawks, owls, a vulture and a falcon. The exciting presentation will give you a chance to see these beautiful creatures up close and learn about the roles they play in the animal kingdom. Watch for a stunning red-tail hawk and turkey vulture flying over the festival during the presentation!
7. THE KID ZONES offer fun jumps, slides, train rides, pony rides, face painting, a craft area and more. On Yates & 5th Avenues next to City Hall, across from the Laurel-Jones County Library, on Central Avenue and at Oak & Front Streets.
8. THE CHILDREN’S ART AREA Sponsored and created by Clairmont Designs, the Children’s Art Area is the place to be for kids of all ages. The art area will be located beside Clairmont Designs near the corner of Oak & Front Streets. Don’t miss it!
9. MASONITE ART COMPETITION Sponsored by Laurel Arts League, student artwork painted on Masonite door skins will be on display at Pinehurst Park depicting this year’s theme, “Loblolly Pine Tree – A Closer Look.”
10. SOUTHERN BEVERAGE CO. LOBLOLLY BEER GARDEN Stop by the beverage wagon in Pinehurst Park one block down from the Loblolly Stage for a cup your favorite domestic or craft beers. Don’t miss your chance to meet the folks from Downtown Laurel’s own Slowboat Brewing Company and get the first taste of their small-batch, artisan style brews.
11. HERITAGE ARTS FESTIVAL The Lauren Rogers Museum of Art will hold its FREE 23rd annual Heritage Arts Festival on Saturday, October 3, from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on the Museum’s front lawn in recognition of National Arts and Humanities Month. This year’s festival theme will be “Sunshine in the Pines.”
12. THE LOBLOLLY LUMBERJACK The Loblolly Lumberjack is a definite crowd favorite as he towers over the festival goers adorned in plaid carrying his trusty axe. Take a photo with the Lumberjack as he explores the festival throughout the day.
13. MICHAEL FOSTER TINTYPE PORTRAITS Oxford, Mississippi artist Michael Foster, an expert in wet plate collodion tintype photography, will be offering portrait sessions in this 1800s-era photography method from his mobile darkroom near City Hall.
14. FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH PUMPKIN PATCH Back this year, the FUMC Pumpkin Patch is the perfect way to celebrate the arrival of fall in Downtown Laurel! Stop by on your way out of the festival to purchase beautiful pumpkins from the FUMC Youth Group.
15. LAUREL WELCOME CENTER & RASBERRY FINANCIAL COLLEGE GAME DAY Visit the newly-opened Laurel Welcome Center throughout the day to learn about the rich history of the “City Beautiful.” New this year, watch the day’s college football games on the big screen provided by Rasberry Financial!
The Strays // 11:00 – 12:15pm
The Strays deliver bold, bluesy rock n roll with a fearless, funky vibe that is glacially cool. Whenever The Strays play a party’s bound to follow!
Down South Band // 12:45 – 2:00pm
The perfect mix of rhythm and blues, southern rock and country music out of Purvis, MS!
Tommie “Tbone” Pruitt // 2:30 – 3:45pm
Tommie ‘T-Bone’ Pruitt has wowed audiences with his rich, smooth vocals as well as his mastery of the blues guitar. He remains a Mississippi Blues man of the highest order and in South Mississippi a local legend.
Magnolia Drive // 4:15 – 5:45pm
Magnolia Drive delivers a hard-driving, contemporary and traditional sound with tasteful instrumentals, smooth blending vocals, and all the energy that you can stand! These guys possess the desire and ability necessary to perform and record high-quality bluegrass. Pair that with their over 100 years of combined experience and professionalism both on and off-stage and you have a group that is turning heads in the bluegrass music world!
Stop by the Beer Garden sponsored by Southern Beverage near the stage in Pinehurst Park as you enjoy great music by these talented local artists!
The Arts & Crafts Vendors come in every shape, size and variety and are a huge part of the Loblolly Festival. From children’s clothes to christmas gifts and decor, handmade apparel to wooden toys, the arts and crafts vendors are the first stop for many festival goers.
The Food Vendors will be ready to fill your belly with delicious fair food, unique creations and festival favorites. The food trucks and booths will be dishing out everything from smoked turkey legs and blooming onions to funnel cakes, corndogs, kettle corn and sausage dogs. Don’t miss the Catfish on a Stick!
The Organizations booths will feature those who are dedicated to helping others and information on how you can join them. Community organizations from throughout Jones County will be on hand to help you better understand not only what they do and how they help, but how you can get involved!
The 2015 Festival Sponsors & Producers
Ear, Nose, & Throat Surgical Clinic
Howard Industries, Inc.
Mississippi Power Co.
Gilchrist, Sumrall, Yoder & Boone, PLLC
Holt & Associates, PLLC
Laurel Ford Lincoln / Kia of Laurel
West Quality Foods
The Knight Butcher
Southern Antique Mall
B Clean LLC
Thank you to our festival sponsors, producers and LMS partners for making this all possible!
Wondering “What is a Loblolly?” Get your answer here.
See y’all at the Loblolly Festival!