To our dear business owners, Main Street supporters, members, and partners:
We understand that these are uncertain times and uncharted waters. We are working to compile a list of resources that may be beneficial to you and your business. If you have not already, please join the Laurel Main Street Members Facebook Group. We are sharing information there as quickly as we receive it. Additionally, we are listing resources here, on our blog, in the hopes that you’ll be able to find the information that is most helpful to you, all in one place. Laurel has always been a city known for its tenacity, and this time will be no different.
We Are Laurel!
For information about the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the following government public health organization websites:
- World Health Organization
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Mississippi State Department of Health
For resources related to small business, please visit the following websites:
- Small Business Administration – Disaster Loan Assistance
- Mississippi Economic Council
- Mississippi Small Business Development Center
- Mississippi Alliance of Nonprofits & Philanthropy
- Mississippi Tourism Association
- Facebook Small Business Grants
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Strategies
- How to Request a SBA EIDL Declaration_Updated_03_11_2020 original [msema.org]
- Information from the Secretary of State’s office
Mississippi Power Project Share & Community Connection
Mississippi Power, through its Foundation, has announced a $350,000 commitment to assist South Mississippi residents, local charities and small businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The $350,000 will be dispersed via Mississippi Power’s Project Share and Community Connection programs:
· $200,000 for Small Businesses – Businesses with 50 employees or less are eligible for this new Project Share program distributed through Catholic Charities.
· $100,000 for Project Share – Distributed through Catholic Charities. Any Mississippi Power customer with a demonstrated financial need may be eligible to apply for Project SHARE by simply calling 1-855-847-0555.
· $50,000 for Local Charities – Food banks, non-violence and youth shelters, and other agencies that count on Community Connection donations to operate, especially during a crisis.
We suggest that you call Catholic Charities at 1-855-847-0555 for more information or to apply.
Help for Live Event Cancellations
If you feel led to assist in efforts to support members of our community who have been impacted through the cancellation of live events, here is sample language to send when writing or emailing elected officials.
Sample letter to Congress:
Subject: Protect Live Events Small Businesses
Dear Representative [NAME],
As you consider relief legislation to assist Americans in responding to COVID-19, I am writing to urge you to include resources to assist those of us for whom congregating in large gatherings is actually our living.
I work in the live events industry and we have seen our revenues dry up virtually overnight. I know we all have to do our part to fight this pandemic and that stopping large gatherings through social distancing is our best approach. My hope is that the assistance you are developing provides fast, substantial, and easily accessible aid for small businesses like mine.
Thank you for considering my request, and thank you for all you are doing to help us get back on our feet after this crisis.
[CREATOR NAME], [TITLE]